With a complex mimicking call and an elaborate courtship dance to match, the superb lyrebird is one of the most spectacular Australian animals. A bird watching must-see, the superb lyrebird can be found in rainforests and wet woodlands across eastern NSW and Victoria.
Read more about Superb lyrebird
The superb lyrebird is renowned for its amazing ability to mimic natural and artificial sounds from its surroundings. This intricate mimicking call is common throughout lush rainforest and wet eucalypt woodlands in eastern NSW.
The elaborate courtship dance of the superb lyrebird is another bird watching treat. During this flamboyant display, the male superb lyrebird builds a mound of leaf litter on the forest floor and lures a female with an intricate courtship dance and spectacular display of his fanned tail.
The superb lyrebird is 1 of only 2 species of lyrebird found in Australia. Albert’s lyrebird, found on the eastern edge of the QLD/NSW border, doesn’t have the outer lyre-shaped tail feathers of the superb lyrebird, but is a similarly masterful mimic.
- Common name
- Suberb lyrebird
- Scientific name
- Menura novaehollandiae
- Conservation status in NSW
You might also like
The Albert’s lyrebird is much rarer than the superb lyrebird. Distinguished by its richer brown plumage and less elaborate tail feathers, it’s protect...
Parks in which this animal is found
- Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve
- Barrington Tops National Park
- Berowra Valley National Park
- Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Dharug National Park
- Dorrigo National Park
- Glenbrook area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Green Cape area in Beowa National Park
- High Plains area in Kosciuszko National Park
- Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area
- Kanangra-Boyd National Park
- Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
- Lower Grose Valley area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Lower Snowy River area in Kosciuszko National Park
- Mount Jerusalem National Park
- Mount Wilson area in Blue Mountains National Park
- New England National Park
- Nymboi-Binderay National Park
- Southern Blue Mountains area in Blue Mountains National Park
- Tumut area in Kosciuszko National Park
- Washpool National Park
- Wollemi National Park
- Yarrangobilly area in Kosciuszko National Park