Wombat Creek campground
Barrington Tops National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Wombat Creek campground.
Getting there and parking
Wombat Creek campground is in the Barrington Tops precinct of Barrington Tops National Park. The campground can only be accessed by foot. To get there:
- Take Thunderbolts Way; this road becomes Scone Road and Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- Turn left into Barrington trail at Barrington trail picnic area located on the left after passing Devils Hole
- Follow Barrington trail for approximately 15km to Mount Barrington picnic area
- Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 – May 31
- From Mount Barrington picnic area follow Careys Peak walking track to the campground
- Take the Hunter Road from Scone
- Turn right on to Moonan Brook Road, then turn left on Barrington Tops Forest Road.
- Turn into Barrington trail, which is on the right 1km past Polblue.
- Barrington trail is only open to vehicles from October 1 – May 31.
- Follow Barrington trail for around 15km to Mount Barrington
Alternatively, the campground can also be accessed via:
- Aeroplane Hill walking track
- Link Trail - Gloucester Tops to Careys Peak
- Or the more challenging Corker trail.
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at Mount Barrington picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Barrington Tops National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take to the park's walking tracks to make the most of cooler and drier daytime weather.
Look out for ground orchids and other wildflowers along the Polblue Swamp walking track.
Look out for the eastern water dragon basking on rocks around the streams.
- Keep campfires small or use a camp stove instead
- Water is available at this campground, but you should boil or treat it before drinking.
- Non-flush toilets
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Hard access is via steps or a steep slope, or you'll have to move across a rough surface with obstacles such as potholes, tree roots, and rocks. Assistance will be necessary.