Wares Yards campground
Selwyn area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Wares Yards campground.
Getting there and parking
Wares Yards campground is in the northern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
From Tumut Visitor Centre:
- Drive along Snowy Mountains Highway for 109.6 km and then turn left onto Tantangara Road
- Drive along Snowy Mountains Highway for 19.4 km and then turn right onto Tantangara Road
- After approximately 7km along Tantangara Road, turn left into Wares Yards campground.
- It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to this campground can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Wares Yards campground.
- Services are available at nearby Adaminaby.
- Creek water is available – you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- Rubbish bins are not available – please take rubbish with you when leaving.
- Firewood is not provided, but it may be collected from the park (chainsaws are not permitted).
- Non-flush toilets
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
Commercial filming or photography is prohibited without prior consent. You must apply for permission and contact the local office.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in the Selwyn area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Selwyn area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kings Cross Road and the Khancoban-Cabramurra Road are closed in winter (June to October long weekends). Some campgrounds in the Selwyn area close in winter.
Park entry fees apply in winter on Link Road
June to October long weekends: $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day (24hrs).
See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass