Platypus Flat campground
Nymboi-Binderay National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Platypus Flat campground.
Getting there and parking
Platypus Flat campground is in Nymboi-Binderay National Park. To get there:
- From Dorrigo, travel north along Tyringham Road for 14km
- Turn right into Moonpar Road and continue 7km
- Turn left into Mills Road and follow the signs to the campground after 8km
- From Dorrigo, travel north-east around 20km to Cascade
- Turn left into Moses Rock Road and continue 6km
- Turn left into Cedar Road and follow the signs to the campground after 9km
- There is a steep descent into the campground.
- The access roads are recommended for 4WD vehicles only.
- There is no long vehicle access into the campground. Access is not suitable for large caravans (over 4.5m).
- Unsealed roads are only suitable for off-road caravans
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Platypus Flat campground can become boggy when it rains.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- 4WD required in wet weather
- Parking for 1 vehicle is permitted per campsite.
- For tent only campsites, parking is available in the carpark next to the camping area.
- Parking is available on your campground for other sites.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
18°C and 29°C
5°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Campsites are marked. Sites 1 to 6 are suitable for small caravans (under 15ft or 4.6m), camper trailers and campervans and tents. Sites 7 to 18 are suitable for tents.
- There is no drinking water at this campground. You can draw water from the Nymboida River, but you'll need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- No power or shower facilities are available at this campground.
- Rubbish bins are not available, please take all rubbish with you.
- There's no mobile phone service or telephone at the campground. The nearest mobile service is located around 8km away, at the intersection of Moonpar and Mills Roads. Coin-operated public phones are located at the villages of Cascade and Bostobrick.
- Non-flush toilets
Each campsite shares a wood barbecue with hot plate, and a picnic table, with the adjoining campsite. The campground also has a small picnic shelter with gas barbecues.
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Wood barbecues (firewood supplied)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Facilities at this campground are not wheelchair-accessible.
- Chemical toilets are permitted, but contents are not to be emptied in the compost toilets or surrounding areas.
- Fishing is permitted between 1 November and 31 July only. Fines may apply outside this period. A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters. In order to protect the diminishing numbers of endangered eastern freshwater cod, you're required to release them if caught.
- Amplified music is not permitted.
No firewood may be collected from the park. Some firewood is provided, but it's recommended you bring your own supply.
- Generators are not permitted at this campground.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.