Cape Byron State Conservation Area
All the practical information you need to know about Thomson Cottage.
Getting there and parking
Thomson Cottage is located on Brooke Drive, just 2km east of Byron Bay town centre. To get there, follow Lawson Street (which becomes Lighthouse Road) and turn left after the boardwalk.
Keys can be collected from Byron Bay Hotel and Apartments. Contact their office on 02 6620 9600 from 9am to 5pm if you want to arrange after hours collection.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
There is a private lockable garage for one car and two additional parking spaces.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Cape Byron State Conservation Area. Here are some of the highlights.
With the weather being a bit cooler, it's the perfect time of year for walking, barbecues and picnics on the beach.
Summer holidays beckon you – enjoy swimming, snorkelling, surfing, building sandcastles, or relaxing in the shade.
Cape Byron is a great spot to watch for whales on their annual migration - remember to take binoculars.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
22°C and 27°C
15°C and 21°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Thomson Cottage is fully furnished and includes an open plan kitchen, lounge and dining area, a bathroom, 3 bedrooms and a large verandah with electric barbecue and outdoor seating, overlooking the beach.
- Bedding configuration: 1 queen bed, 1 queen bed and 2 single beds.
- All bed linen and towels are provided.
- Cot hire is available. Call Byron Bay office before your stay to arrange a cot.
- The kitchen has an electric oven and stove, fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster. Basic kitchenware, cutlery and glassware are included.
- TV with Netflix.
- Washing machine, dryer, air-conditioning and outdoor shower.
- Please leave the property clean and tidy with all kitchen items washed up and put away. Hourly additional fees may be charged for unreasonable cleaning required or missing/broken items.
- Rubbish bins are provided.
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Hot showers
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
There are 11 steps to access the cottage from the parking space.
Please be considerate of others and keep the noise down. Fees apply if security is called to the property.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in Cape Byron State Conservation Area in the North Coast region
- Cape Byron State Conservation Area is open all hours, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn is open 8am to sunset.
- The Maritime Museum in the former Lighthouse Keeper’s office at the base of the lighthouse is open 10am to 4pm daily.
- Opening before 8am for events or disabled access can be arranged by prior notice – contact NPWS Byron Bay office during business hours 02 6639 8300.
Park entry fees:
Cape Byron Lighthouse lawn and Information Centre: $8 per vehicle per hour/$4 per hour motorcycles. Maximum 1 hour per vehicle per calendar day, including all NPWS annual passholders.
Captain Cook lookout, Cosy Corner, and The Pass: $4 per vehicle/motorcycle per hour. Pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted.
Coach entry: $30 per coach up to 30 seats; $57 per coach 31 to 43 seats; $94 per coach 44 seats and over.Buy annual pass