Arakoon National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Arakoon National Park.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
From the south:
- Take South West Rocks Road along the Macleay River from East Kempsey (37km)
- Or take Tourist Route 12 from South Kempsey to travel via Crescent Head (80km)
From the north:
- Turn off the Pacific Highway 1km past Clybucca on to Plummers Lane
Park entry points
Parking Show more
- Front Beach See on map
- Little Bay picnic area See on map
- Trial Bay Gaol See on map
- Trial Bay Gaol campground See on map
- Trial Bay Kiosk Restaurant See on map
Check out the Bicycle information for NSW website for more information.
By public transport
For information about public transport options, visit the NSW country transport info website.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Arakoon National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The wildflowers will be out so it's a great time to hike the park's walking tracks During the spring, when the she-oaks produce fruit, glossy black cockatoos come in to feed on the ripe seeds .
School's out and it's a great time for a family camping holiday – spend your days swimming, snorkelling, fishing and exploring the park's attractions.
Catch the whales on their journey north along the coast.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 26°C
12°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Front Beach
- Little Bay picnic area
- Trial Bay Gaol
- Trial Bay Gaol campground
- Trial Bay Kiosk Restaurant
Maps and downloads
- in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
02 6566 6168
Contact hours: 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- Trial Bay Goal Access Road, Arakoon, NSW 2431
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
South West Rocks (4 km)
South West Rocks is a sleepy coastal retreat at its barefoot best. It's an oceanfront holiday town on north-facing Trial Bay.
Kempsey (37 km)
Kempsey is a historic river town close to national parks and majestic beaches. Kempsey is a convenient place for an overnight stop for anyone driving between Sydney and the North Coast.
Crescent Head (58 km)
Crescent Head on the NSW North Coast is surrounded by some of the stunning natural environments in the State. As well as long stretches of coastline with fabulous beaches, there is a string on coastal national parks to explore. Go surfing, fishing, boating and bushwalking, enjoy bird watching or whale watching, spot dolphins, turtles and even koalas in the wild.