Culgoa National Park
Yuwura Yarun (Sandhill track) offers the most comprehensive walk in Culgoa National Park, crossing diverse habitats and offering birdwatching and picnicking opportunities.
- Culgoa National Park
- 10km loop
- Time suggested
- 3 - 4hrs
- Grade 4
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- There is no mobile reception in this park.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
Yuwura Yurun, also known as Sandhill track, crosses sandhills and open cypress pine woodlands, taking you into the scrublands of the national park. Yuwura Yurun turns away from Culgoa - unlike Mirri Mirru Yurun (River Bank walk), which sticks closely to Culgoa River - and traverses a wide variety of environments, offering the best glimpse of why Culgoa National Park is a special place.
There is coolabah woodland, Brigalow-gidgee woodland, mulga forests and wide grassland areas, not to mention claypans and sand dunes. Culgoa is remarkable not only for its solitude but its diversity, including its birds and animals too.
Yuwura Yurun is a longer walk, at 10km, but not particularly difficult, so it’s suitable for moderate fitness. Take your time, perhaps stopping when you find a place to picnic, or there are the tables and barbecue facilities at Culgoa River campground when you’re done.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bourke office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6830 0200
- 51-53 Oxley Street, Bourke NSW 2840
- in Culgoa National Park in the Outback NSW region
Culgoa National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.