Culgoa Connellys track
Culgoa National Park
Culgoa Connellys track is an easy 8km return trail through open coolabah woodlands, with plenty of animals to see and opportunities for birdwatching and astronomy.
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3hrs
- Grade 5
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, suitable clothing
- Please note
- The small townships of Weilmoringle, on the south-west side of Culgoa, and Goodooga, on the east side of Culgoa, offer no fuel, so please ensure you have enough before departure.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Thanks to the Jolly Swagman and his billabong, coolabah trees are iconic in Australian folklore. Culgoa Connellys track has loads of them – in fact, it threads for 4km through open coolabah woodlands, with birds circling overhead and emus rushing through scrub along the track. After rainy season, the ground blooms with native wildflowers, too.
Reached from Culgoa River campground, Culgoa Connellys track is suitable for everybody, from families and grey nomads to experienced bushwalkers. Bring plenty of water, sturdy shoes, and that all-important sense of adventure, and this easy walk delivers plenty of rewards. While it's Grade 5 for not having directional signage, you'll still find this an easy walk for all ages.
If you’re river camping, consider bringing a torch as a great deal of wildlife is most active at night. So, follow the track in the evening for a completely different experience to a chorus of frogs and cicadas. You might like to look up for a bit of amateur astronomy while you’re at it.
You can even extend the stroll by following the adjoining Yawura Yarun (Sandhill track), which offers a return walk to the campground as well.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bourke office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6830 0200
- 51-53 Oxley Street, Bourke NSW 2840
- in Culgoa National Park in the Outback NSW region
Culgoa National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.