Yanga Lake walking track
Yanga National Park
Short yet rewarding Yanga Lake walking track is a family friendly lakeside walk offering scenic wetlands views and spectacular birdwatching in Yanga National Park.
- Yanga National Park
- 1km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 5
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat, clothes for all weather conditions
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Yanga walking track can become boggy when it rains
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
For a beautiful lakeside walk that combines impressive scenic views and superb birdwatching, head for Yanga Lake walking track. This short track traces part of the eastern shoreline to link some of the most scenic features of Yanga National Park, part of Murrumbidgee Valley National Park. Near Yanga Homestead, it’s an ideal introduction to the tranquil beauty of the wetlands for families, school groups and nature lovers.
The steep and rough track descends from Yanga Lake viewing deck through majestic river red gums and river coobas to the very shores of the immense lake. Enjoy a leisurely picnic as you soak in the natural beauty and serenity.
Spring and Autumn are excellent times to visit as bird activity is at its peak. However, there’s birdlife all year round including pelicans, cormorants and white-bellied sea eagles. For a more immersive birdwatching experience stop by Yanga Lake Red Gum bird hide.
Yanga Historic Refrigeration Shed is located at Yanga Homestead. It’s a fascinating way to learn about the history of an iconic station in Australia’s outback.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Yanga National Park office
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily.
- 03 5020 1764
- 38773 Sturt Highway, Yanga NSW 2711
- in Yanga National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Yanga National Park is open Sunrise to Sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Yanga Homestead Precinct is open 8.30am - 4.30pm.