Western Escarpment walking track
Malabar Headland National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Western Escarpment walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
20 - 30min
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Western Escarpment walking track is in the western section of Malabar Headland National Park.
To get to Arthur Byrne Reserve carpark from Sydney city:
- Drive south along Anzac Parade
- Turn left onto Fitzgerald Avenue towards Maroubra Beach
- At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Bernie Kelly Drive
- The carpark is at the end of Bernie Kelly Drive
To get to Pioneers Park carpark from Sydney city:
- Drive south along Anzac Parade, passing through Maroubra
- Pioneers Park is on your left, before you reach Malabar
- Follow the Pioneers walking track around 350m to the north of the carpark to reach the national park and track head
- Free parking is available at the south end of Maroubra Beach at Arthur Byrne Reserve carpark. The track head is 50m from the carpark.
- You can also park at Pioneers Park in Malabar. The track head is 350m from the carpark.
There are no facilities in Malabar Headland National Park. Toilets, picnic tables and barbecues are available at Arthur Byrne Reserve and Pioneers Park. Please take all waste out of the park and use rubbish bins at Pioneers Park or Arthur Byrne Reserve.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Bicycles and trail bikes are not permitted on Western Escarpment walking track.
Flying recreational drones is not permitted. Please contact the park office for consent if you wish to fly a drone for commercial filming or photography purposes. For more information, see the Drones in parks policy.
There are off-leash dog areas at Pioneers Park and on-leash areas at Arthur Byrne Reserve. See the Randwick City Council website for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Nielsen Park office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- 02 9337 5511
- Greycliffe House, Nielsen Park, 6 Steele Point Road, Vaucluse NSW 2030
- in Malabar Headland National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Western section: Open all year but may close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.