Thunderbolts lookout walking track
Torrington State Conservation Area
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Follow this walking track to see the spectacular 360° panoramic views of Torrington at Thunderbolts lookout. Experience the stunning wildflowers along the way.
- Torrington State Conservation Area
- 2km return
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, please ensure you are well prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
Thunderbolts lookout walking track meanders through the bush from Nomads picnic area along a well-defined trail. Enjoy the colourful display of wildflowers during the warmer months along the way.
The last 200m is mostly steps which climb through a rock shelter and up a steep 5m metal ladder; it’s a challenging climb, but one where you’ll be rewarded for your efforts.
Named after the famous local bushranger, Captain Thunderbolt, the lookout offers spectacular 360° panoramic views. From such a great vantage point it’s a good time to see if you can see the rare glossy black cockatoo, often seen in pairs, flying overhead.
Catch your breath, take in the view then wander back to the picturesque Nomad picnic area, or Nomad’s Retreat as the locals call it, for a well-earned rest and a relaxing afternoon picnic under the trees.
Nomads picnic area is at the start of Thunderbolts lookout walking track, in Torrington State Conservation Area, near Tenterfield. Unwind in this peaceful forest setting before or after your walk.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Torrington State Conservation Area in the Country NSW region
Torrington State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.