Thunderbolts lookout walking track
Torrington State Conservation Area
All the practical information you need to know about Thunderbolts lookout walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
30min - 1hr
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Short steep hills
Quality of path
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Thunderbolts lookout walking track is in the south-eastern precinct of Torrington State Conservation Area. To get there:
- After passing through the township of Torrington, continue straight until you pass the old pub on your right.
- Before the road bends to the left, take the right turn-off signposted to Nomads picnic area.
- Continue for about 150m then take a right turn which will take you to Nomads picnic area where the walking track starts
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Thunderbolts lookout walking track can become boggy when it rains.
Parking is available at Nomads picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Torrington State Conservation Area. Here are some of the highlights.
See the spectacular display of spring wildflowers as the boronias, grevilleas, prostantheras and many other native wildflowers turn the bush into a vibrant display of colour.
Wander through the bush, dotted with colourful wildflowers, as you take in the magnificent granite formations on the Mystery Face walking track.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13°C and 31°C
1°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
You are encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Firewood is not supplied and may not be collected from the park.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372