Square Head track 2
Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve
This short walk through burrawangs and spotted gums, populated with birds, offers one of the best scenic views in the whole reserve and a hidden fishing spot.
- 1.8km return
- Time suggested
- 30 - 45min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Shore birds are best seen on low tide. It’s a good idea to check the tides charts beforehand. Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
Looking for a great place to survey Batemans Bay and the nearby islands? This charming walk through fragrant spotted gum forest follows a vehicle management trail, with plenty of honeyeaters, little lorikeets, and echidnas foraging around the burrawangs below.
After a short hike, you reach the scenic Square Head, where generous views out to sea encompass Batemans Bay, Long Beach, Snapper Island, and the two Tollgate islands. Keep the camera handy – you might even spot a pair of endangered gang-gang cockatoos perched in the bush.
The nearby estuary beach offers a terrific picnic spot. If you enjoy fishing, an informal access track to the water below is popular with rock fishermen from the local area.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Ulladulla office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- 02 4454 9500
- Lot 9 Blackburn Industrial Estate, 6 Coller Road Ulladulla NSW 2539
- in Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Cullendulla Creek Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.