Slippery Rock walking track
Kwiambal National Park
Slippery Rock walking track in Kwiambal National Park, near Inverell, offers spectacular gorge views as well as fishing, birdwatching and vibrant wildflowers in spring.
- Kwiambal National Park
- 4km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
For sensational gorge views and fantastic river fishing, Slippery Rock walking track is a great introduction to the dramatic landscape of Kwiambal National Park. About an hour’s drive from Inverell, it offers great birdwatching and abundant wildlife. It’s an ideal nature escape for independent travellers and adventurous walkers who love getting ‘off the beaten track’.
As the name implies, this rough track involves several short steep climbs and some clambering over rocks. However, the effort is well worth it as you gaze across the fast flowing waters of Macintyre River, with its deep granite gorges, thundering waterfalls amid tranquil bush surroundings.
Keep an eye out for eastern grey kangaroos and red-necked wallabies, and an ear out for the raucous chatter of sulphur-crested cockatoos. Head back to Macintyre Falls picnic area and make use of the free barbecues for a well-earned lunch, and be sure to check out the nearby lookout.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Macintyre Falls picnic area is in Kwiambal National Park near Macintyre Falls lookout. It’s a great spot to stop for lunch when you’re exploring the park or if you're visiting the village of Ashford.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Kwiambal National Park in the Country NSW region
Kwiambal National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.