Scutts Hut and Kurrawonga Falls walk
Mount Kaputar National Park
Scutts Hut and Kurrawonga Falls walk is in Mount Kaputar National Park and near Narrabri. The track takes you past an early pioneer hut and down to Kurrawonga Falls.
- Mount Kaputar National Park in Country NSW
- 19km return
- Time suggested
- 10 - 12hrs
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- For your safety, camping or fires are not permitted within 20m of the hut.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
Scutts Hut and Kurrawonga Falls walk is a 19km hike through the beautiful mountain scenery of Mount Kaputar National Park, near Narrabri. As one of the more challenging walks in the park, it offers a chance to really experience the historic heritage of Scutts Hut, a hut built by an early pioneer in the 1930s.
Leaving Scutts Hut trail, the 1.7km track leading to Scutts Hut is marked. However, the 450m steep track that leads to Kurrawonga Falls isn’t, so you’ll need to keep your eyes open for the fence that runs down to Horsearm Creek just above the falls.
Enjoy a spot of birdwatching among the woodlands of silvertop stringybark, mountain gums and rough bark apples. You might want to rest and camp overnight near the historic hut as this track is very steep and difficult.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (31)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Aboriginal culture (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cycling (3)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (5)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sightseeing (21)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (17)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (6)