Sandstone Caves walking track
Pilliga National Park
Take a self-guided tour along the Sandstone Caves walking track to see ancient Aboriginal rock art. For more of an insight into Aboriginal history, book a guided tour.
- Pilliga National Park
- 1.7km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- This is a special place for the Gamilaroi people – please be respectful when visiting this site and refrain from touching the rock art and engravings. Photography is permitted, however visitors are requested not to use flash photography.
- You can book a guided tour at Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre in Baradine.
- It’s a good idea to check road conditions before setting out – contact Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre for up to date information.
Walk in the footsteps of the Gamilaroi people along the short Sandstone Caves walking track in Pilliga Nature Reserve. You’ll pass through scenic forest to the impressive sandstone hills, with some containing ancient Aboriginal rock engravings. Take some time to read over the interpretive signage for more of an insight into this special place.
You can take a self-guided walk, however this unique place is best experienced on a guided tour with an Aboriginal Discovery Ranger. You can book your tour at Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre in Baradine.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre
- 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6843 4011
- 50-58 Wellington St, Baradine NSW 2396
- in Pilliga National Park in the Country NSW region
Pilliga Forest is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.