Rennix walking track
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Rennix walking track is a challenging walk through subalpine meadows within Kosciuszko National Park, with birdwatching and picnic opportunities along the way.
- 13km return
- Time suggested
- 4hrs 30min - 5hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, please be well prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park.
Rennix walking track crosses several small, forested ridges and offers scenic views over Snowy River to the west, as well as Lake Jindabyne to the east. Seasoned hikers and casual walkers will love the challenging walk up a shallow valley through subalpine meadows. The changing scenery spans all the way to dramatic boulder outcroppings at the turning point, called Giants Castle.
From Giants Castle, it’s a return journey, so you can find a place to picnic, pull out your binoculars and settle down for a leisurely afternoon with a spot of birdwatching.
Wildflowers bloom along the track between January and Easter, adding an array of vibrant colours to your bushwalking adventure – from yellow yam daisies to purple trigger plants and cream candle heath.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Southern corroboree frog conservation project
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass
Things to do (52)
- Adventure sports (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (3)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Cycling (10)
- Educational activities (1)
- Fishing (5)
- Historic heritage (4)
- Other experiences (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (5)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (2)
- Snow sports (15)
- Swimming (1)
- Visitor centres (3)
- Walking (18)
- Waterfalls (3)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (6)