Piles Creek loop
Brisbane Water National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Piles Creek loop.
Grade 5Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2hrs 30min - 3hrs
Quality of markings
Very steep and difficult
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Very experienced bushwalkers
Getting there and parking
Piles Creek loop is located in the northern section of Brisbane Water National Park.
To get there from the F3 Highway:
- Exit Central Coast Highway towards Gosford
- Take the first left onto Wisemans Ferry Road
- Take the first left onto Old Pacific Highway
- Take the first left onto Quarry Road
- The picnic area, where the trail begins, is through the tunnel and straight ahead.
Parking is available at Girrakool picnic area, including several designated disabled spots. Please be aware of the carpark opening hours; gates are locked at closing.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Brisbane Water National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The cooler weather makes it a perfect time to find a waterfall walking track, and keep an eye out for ancient Aboriginal engravings along the way.
Pack a picnic lunch and soak up the delightful sights and sounds of spring. Relax among the wildflowers and wildlife as the Hawkesbury River flows by.
Take advantage of the warmer summer weather and paddle down Patonga Creek or Mooney Mooney Creek in a canoe.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
15°C and 27°C
5°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- in Brisbane Water National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Two picnic areas in Brisbane Water National Park close in the evening:
- Girrakool picnic area is open 7am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 7am to 6pm at other times
- Somersby Falls picnic area is open 8am to 8pm during daylight savings and is open 8am to 5pm at other times
Other areas of Brisbane Water National Park will be open at all times, however may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day applies at Girrakool and Somersby Falls picnic areas. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.
You will need a permit to hold a wedding or undertake commercial photography within the park.Buy annual pass