Pagoda Lookout walking track
Wollemi National Park
Pagoda Lookout walking track is a short but steep walk near Rylstone in Wollemi National Park. Enjoy incredible views over ancient pagoda rock formations and the Cudgegong River.
- 2.5km return
- Time suggested
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, sturdy shoes, sunscreen, hat, suitable clothing
- Please note
- This walking track is rough and unformed with steep sections, cliff edges and some difficult rock scrambling, so please take care.
- There is no platform or handrail at the lookout, so remember to be careful when you reach the top of the pagoda formations.
Pagoda Lookout walking track is a favourite among day trippers from Rylstone and families staying at Ganguddy–Dunns Swamp campground. It’s a steep climb but the 360-degree views of volcanic remnants and pagoda rock formations are well worth the effort.
The walking track starts at the campground and follows Weir Walk until the sign to Pagoda Lookout. It’s a 120m walk from there to the top of the lookout. Along the way, you’ll be climbing up steep hills and scrambling over low rock ledges, so you’ll need to be fairly fit with a good sense of balance.
From the top, take in the expansive views over the meandering Cudgegong River and stunning pagoda rock formations from the Triassic period. After catching your breath and getting that perfect sunset shot, make your way back down to the campground and keep an eye out for a rare glimpse of Evans grevillea in spring.
There are several other walks that start from Ganguddy–Dunns Swamp campground, taking you further upstream and through the open scribbly gum woodland. You can also enjoy fishing, swimming, boating and kayaking in the Cudgegong River.
Unwind in stunning World Heritage surrounds at Ganguddy-Dunns Swamp campground, near Rylstone. Perfect for a family camping trip, go fishing, canoeing and swimming in the Cudgegong river.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Mudgee office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6370 9000
- 27 Inglis Street, Mudgee NSW 2850
- in Wollemi National Park in the Sydney and surrounds, North Coast and Country NSW regions
Wollemi National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.