Old Mountain Road walking track
Tumut area in Kosciuszko National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
A challenging short walk at Talbingo near Tumut in Kosciuszko National Park, Old Mountain Road walking track offers superb scenic views of Bogong Peaks.
- Tumut area in Kosciuszko National Park
- 4km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
If you're planning to hire a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) from one of these locations, wait and fill out your trip intention form in person.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, compass, clothes for all weather conditions, gps, topographic map
- Please note
- You can also start this track from two access points along Snowy Mountains Highway. You'll need to arrange a car shuffle between start and end points if walking one way only.
- There is limited mobile reception in this part of the park.
Set out along the trail from Jounama Creek campground, and you'll soon meet the trackhead for the short but heart-pumping Old Mountain Road walking track. This high-energy walk heads uphill above the creek valley, but is well worth the effort for the breathtaking views of Bogong Peaks, Jounama Pondage and Blowering Reservoir.
The track follows Talbingo Mountain's first road, built in 1860 during the Kiandra gold rush. Today, the only traffic you're likely to see is a colourful variety of birdlife, including yellow-tailed black cockatoos. In summer, wildflowers such as purple kunzea and white-flowered tea tree bloom on the lower slopes.
Return the same way (add 1hr), enjoying the downhill track and detour to pretty Jounama Creek, near the campground. It's an ideal spot for a picnic and to paddle your feet after the walk, or to simply sit quietly and watch for wallabies and eastern grey kangaroos.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tumut Region Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6947 7025
- The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut NSW 2720
- in the Tumut area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Tumut area is open all year but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues.
No park entry fees apply in the Tumut area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass