Old Mountain Road walking track
Tumut area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Old Mountain Road walking track.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
1hr 30min - 2hrs
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Quality of path
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Old Mountain Road walking track is in the Talbingo area of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there from Tumut:
- Travel 42km south on Snowy Mountains Highway to Jounama Creek campground
- Park at the campground and walk along the dirt road to the signposted trackhead
- Alternatively, you can access the track by travelling a further 5km south along Snowy Mountains Highway to a small carpark on the side of the road. From here, you can head up or down the track.
- The top of the track is a further 3km south along Snowy Mountains Highway, where it is marked at a large pull-in area.
Parking is available at the top of Old Mountain Road walking track and also at the nearby Jounama Creek campground.
Maps and downloads
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
- Tumut Region Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6947 7025
- The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut NSW 2720
- in the Tumut area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Tumut area is open all year but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues.
No park entry fees apply in the Tumut area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass