Ngiyampaa walking track
Mount Grenfell Historic Site
Ngiyampaa is a moderately challenging walk to Choy trig station at the summit of Mount Grenfell. Enjoy the scenic view from the rocky lookout point at the top.
- Mount Grenfell Historic Site in Outback NSW
- 4km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
It’s worth the extra effort to hike along the range to the summit of Mount Grenfell, where you’ll find Choy trig station on Ngiyampaa walking track. There are expansive scenic views from the top across this otherwise flat landscape, and along the way are opportunities to see unusual rock formations and mallee trees. Enjoy a picnic lunch at a rocky lookout point at the top. The vast, arid country you can see out there is the traditional land of Ngiyampaa Wangaaypuwan people, who have a long and enduring relationship with this place.
While you're walking, keep an eye out for red and grey kangaroos. Emus still pace the land like prehistoric sentinels and you'll see them recorded in the rock art on the way to this track. When the weather’s warmer, geckos, snakes, shinglebacks and bearded dragons will emerge to soak up the sun. Keep your binoculars handy for birdwatching.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dubbo office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6841 7100
- 74 River Street, Dubbo, NSW 2830
- in Mount Grenfell Historic Site in the Outback NSW region
Mount Grenfell Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, fire danger or cultural activities.
Things to do (13)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (4)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (3)
- Walking (7)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)