Mount Matheson loop
Nightcap National Park
Starting at Mount Nardi picnic area, the Mount Matheson loop takes you on a short walk through rainforest. You can combine this hike with other tracks for a longer day walk.
- Nightcap National Park
- 3km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
Experience the variety of the unique landscape along the Mount Matheson loop. On this short walking track you’ll hike through the lush rainforest that encircles Mount Matheson, before reaching the dramatic cliff edges that feature eucalypt forests. It’s not a long walk but some might find it challenging, so you’ll need to be reasonably fit, and remember to bring plenty of water.
The walk starts and ends at Mount Nardi picnic area, a small grassy area with a couple of barbecues and a picnic table.
You may want to use this loop walk to reach the Pholis Gap or historic Nightcap walking tracks. Pholis Gap is a good option to extend the loop into a day walk, and you can take the Nightcap track if you’d like to do some overnight walking and bush camping.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Alstonville office
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed for lunch, 12pm to 1pm.
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477
- in Nightcap National Park in the North Coast region
Nightcap National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.