Mount Hay summit walking track
Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Mount Hay summit walking track.
Features of this track
2 - 3hrs
Quality of markings
Very steep and difficult
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Getting there and parking
Mount Hay summit walking track, in Blue Mountains National Park, is accessed from north Leura. To get there:
- Leura train station is 600m from Mount Hay Road.
- If driving, take the Great Western Highway and take the Leura Mall exit
- Turn right at the roundabout and take the highway overpass
- Turn right onto Britain Street, then left on to Mount Hay Road
- It's 4km to the park boundary then 11.4km to the carpark at the end of the unsealed road.
- Check conditions before you set out as Mount Hay Road can be rough, boggy and potholed.
- While 2WD vehicles can access Mount Hay Road in dry weather, 4WD vehicles are recommended, especially after rain.
- Unsealed roads
- Most roads require 4WD vehicle
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at the end of Mount Hay Road, where this walking track starts.
- The unsealed route along Mount Hay Road is a popular cycling trail. Please stay on the designated road.
- You'll need to bring a bike chain, lock, and walking shoes if you plan to visit Lockleys Pylon walking track or Mount Hay summit walking track.
- There are no toilets in this part of the national park. The nearest public toilets are at Leura Station or Leura Mall.
- There are no bins so please take all rubbish out of the park with you
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.