Blue Mountains Heritage Centre
Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
Visit Blue Mountains Heritage Centre to get expert advice on walking tracks, Aboriginal heritage, plants and animals and activities.
- Visitor centres
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath, NSW, 2785 - in Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park in Sydney and surrounds, Country NSW
- Opening times
9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed on Christmas Day.
- Hire this venue
Blue Mountains Heritage Centre is available for events and function hire.
- Please note
- If you're planning a long hike or visiting a remote part of the Greater Blue Mountains wilderness, drop into the visitor centre to complete a trip intention form and hire a PLB.
- Contact Blue Mountains Heritage Centre for information on tours or bookings
Located near Blackheath, discover all you need to know about the activities and history that make Blue Mountains National Park one of Australia’s most popular and famous destinations.
Perfect for groups and completely wheelchair-accessible, the Heritage Centre also hosts the permanent 'Outside In' exhibition. Learn about local Aboriginal culture, plants and animals and the fantastic walking tracks around the stunning Grose Valley. There is also a gallery and theatrette for hire. For a unique virtual reality experience, pop on the Oculus Rift VR goggles and travel through one of the world’s most spectacular canyons - Claustral canyon. The cost is $10 for 15 minutes.
A great pit stop on a family day trip, Fairfax Heritage walking track starts here and leads to the picnic area and scenic views of nearby Govetts Leap lookout. The more adventurous will also find detailed guides and maps for long walks to remote areas such as Acacia Flat campground.
Looking for a unique Australian-made gift? Browse the centre for souvenirs, clothing and books.
Tours and events at this location
Aboriginal games for kids: Blackheath
Looking for a fun-filled kids’ activity these school holidays? Learn to play a range of Aboriginal games at the Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, near Blackheath.
Bush alive: The buzz on bees
Buzz along to the Blue Mountains Heritage Centre in Blackheath these school holidays and learn about our wonderful native bees.
Junior ranger: Navigation adventure at Blackheath
Become a junior ranger this school holidays, on this fun orienteering tour at Blackheath. You'll learn some useful navigation skills along the way.
Leaping lizards: Blackheath
Do you love lizards? Join in the reptile fun at Blackheath in Blue Mountains National Park. You’ll get to explore their habitat and find out how you can help to protect our reptiles.
Think Before You TREK
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
Bush Trackers was created to encourage children to engage with the environment in and around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area. This program highlights the natural and cultural splendour of the greater Blue Mountains through education initiatives and bushwalks.
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (136)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Adventure sports (19)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (13)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Cycling (12)
- Environmental appreciation/study (5)
- Historic heritage (13)
- Other experiences (9)
- Photography (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (12)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Show cave tours (1)
- Sightseeing (68)
- Swimming (4)
- Visitor centres (2)
- Walking (74)
- Waterfalls (38)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (8)