Mount Grenfell art site walk
Mount Grenfell Historic Site
From the picnic area, it’s a short easy stroll along Mount Grenfell art site walk to view Aboriginal rock art, which continues to be deeply significant to Ngiyampaa People.
- Mount Grenfell Historic Site in Outback NSW
- 3km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
On the rocky overhangs of Mount Grenfell art site walk are human figures, animals, medicine, waterways, land, and Dreaming stories depicted in red, yellow, and ochre pigment, applied with a finger or brush. Ochres come from naturally tinted clay and are some of the earliest pigments used by humans. You’ll also see stencils created by blowing a mouthful of pigment over a hand held against the rock face.
It’s only a short, easy walk to view three galleries of this spectacular Aboriginal rock art, which have been layered upon each other over time. The site holds particular significance for Ngiyampaa People, who are traditional owners of this land.
Take your time on this walking route past mallee and cypress pines. Sit and listen to birdcalls, and imagine people gathering here at this meeting place from the surrounding area to talk, laugh, argue, pass on knowledge, record information and take part in ceremonies.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dubbo office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6841 7100
- 74 River Street, Dubbo, NSW 2830
- in Mount Grenfell Historic Site in the Outback NSW region
Mount Grenfell Historic Site is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, fire danger or cultural activities.
Things to do (12)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (4)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (2)
- Walking (6)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)