Montague Island walking track
Montague Island Nature Reserve
This coastal walk around Montague Island is short but challenging and takes you past the historic lighthouse and precious penguin breeding boxes.
- Montague Island Nature Reserve
- 1.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Walking tours can be booked through the Narooma Visitor Centre via 1800 240 003.
- You can choose a longer morning tour (2.5hrs on the island) or a shorter afternoon tour (1hr on the island). During the months of September – February we also have our 1.5 hour evening penguin viewing tour.
- Each tour takes you to the top of the lighthouse, so a reasonable level of fitness is required.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird, whale or dolphin watch.
- The island can be windy. A windproof jacket is a good idea at all times.
- Tours may be subject to late cancellation in the event of unfavourable weather and sea conditions
- Please note: Passengers on a self-guided tour could take as little as 1.5 hours to complete the same walk. Alternatively, they can also take as long as they wish after advising NSW National Parks staff of their whereabouts.
See the splendours of Montague Island with one of our knowledgeable guides on guided tour of this outstanding nature reserve. The effort of climbing the steep, paved track will be well worth it, as the walk reveals the lighthouse against a dramatic island backdrop.
Once you’ve captured the perfect Montague Island Lighthouse photo, it will be time to soak in the 360 degree views. Ascending the circular lighthouse stairs will give you an insight into the daily life of a lighthouse keeper from times gone by. Reaching the top, you’ll be duly rewarded with an incredible panoramic vista taking in the East Coast of Australia.
This medium difficulty walk leads past penguin breeding boxes where you’ll learn how conservation and revegetation programs on Montague Island help protect these unique animals. And if that’s not enough, whales, dolphins and migratory seabirds are all regular visitors.
Take a virtual tour on Montague Island walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Australia is home to more than 500,000 animal and plant species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Saving our Species is a statewide conservation program that addresses the growing number of Australian animals and Australian native plants facing extinction.
- Narooma office
- Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 4476 0800
- 9 Burrawang Street, Cnr Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2456
- in Montague Island Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Montague Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Please note that Montague Island is only accessible via one of NSW National Parks & Wildlife contracted commercial vessel tour operators (go to www.eurobodalla.com.au for details).