Lake walking track
Murramarang National Park
Lake walking track is an easy, medium bush walking track through spotted gums and cool rainforest offering birdwatching in Murramarang National Park on the South Coast.
- Murramarang National Park in South Coast
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 2 - 4hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put insect repellent on before you set out
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
Immerse yourself in the tranquil coastal forest on this medium length walk in the central area of Murramarang National Park. Lake walking track leads off Durras Lake Discovery trail and follows the northern shore of Durras Lake through stands of towering spotted gums, offering excellent kangaroo spotting and birdwatching.
Passing through remnants of original coastal rainforest, where coachwood and lilly pillies mingle with the gums, look for lyrebirds and wonga pigeons foraging in the undergrowth. The eastern whipbirds prefer the denser foliage but you might hear their distinct call.
When you’re ready for lunch, unpack a picnic along the track and soak up the peaceful bush setting. Keep an eye out for the locals as kangaroos, wallabies and goannas are often seen.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Ulladulla office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- 02 4454 9500
- Lot 9 Blackburn Industrial Estate, 6 Coller Road Ulladulla NSW 2539
- in Murramarang National Park in the South Coast region
Murramarang National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted. Card only at Pretty Beach.Buy annual pass
Things to do (35)
- Aboriginal culture (2)
- Beach (3)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (17)
- Canoeing/paddling (4)
- Fishing (6)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (7)
- Sightseeing (20)
- Snorkelling and scuba (7)
- Surfing (3)
- Swimming (13)
- Walking (23)
- Waterfalls (1)