Durras Lake Discovery trail
Murramarang National Park
A family friendly short walk, Durras Lake Discovery trail highlights historic heritage as well as wildlife and birdwatching in Murramarang National Park, on the South Coast.
- 1.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Durras Lake Discovery trail can become boggy when it rains
If you’re spending some quality family time on the South Coast, the Durras Lake Discovery trail is an easy walk in the central precinct of Murramarang National Park. The kids will love hopping across the playful stepping stones, climbing the lookout tower and testing their balance on the log walk.
Leading through majestic spotted gums and spiky burrawangs, you’ll pass a remnant of endangered rainforest. Informative displays highlight the history of the forest and early logging in the area. Now protected, this rare forest is ideal for wildlife and birdwatching. You might see crimson rosellas, new Holland honey eaters as well as kangaroos and red-necked wallabies.
There’s the option to join Lake walk for more views of Durras Lake, or simply pick your spot for a picnic under the shade of the spotted gums.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Ulladulla office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- 02 4454 9500
- Lot 9 Blackburn Industrial Estate, 6 Coller Road Ulladulla NSW 2539
- in Murramarang National Park in the South Coast region
Murramarang National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay machines - cash and credit cards accepted. Card only at Pretty Beach.Buy annual pass