King Fern walking track
Werrikimbe National Park
All the practical information you need to know about King Fern walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
30min - 1hr 30min
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Getting there and parking
King Fern walking track starts from Plateau Beech campground in Werrikimbe National Park. To get there:
- Drive towards Beechwood on Beechwood Road for about 6.5km.
- Turn onto Bellangry Road and drive for about 18km.
- Continue straight onto Hastings Forest Way, an unsealed road.
- Drive 30km to the park boundary, then continue on Hastings Forest Way for another 8km.
- Turn left onto Cockerawombeeba Trail and drive for 7km.
- Turn right onto Plateau North Road and drive for 3km.
- Park at Plateau Beech campground.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- Most roads suitable for 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Plateau Beech campground.
Best times to visit
In Autumn, after good rains, the park's waterfalls are at peak splendour and vibrant rainforest colours receive an extra boost from lush mosses and fungi.
Spring is a great time to visit as the trees burst into bloom, attracting insects and butterflies. This is also a fantastic opportunity to see some of the park's striking birdlife, including eastern yellow robins, crimson rosellas, olive whistlers and superb lyrebirds.
Water is limited or not available in this area, so it's a good idea to bring your own for cooking and drinking.
Non-flush toilets are available at Plateau Beech campground/picnic area.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Werrikimbe National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Werrikimbe National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.