King Fern walking track
Werrikimbe National Park
King Fern walking track in Werrikimbe National Park near Wauchope is a great introduction to World Heritage-listed Gondwana Rainforests. A 2km loop, it also offers waterfalls and vibrant birdlife.
- Werrikimbe National Park in North Coast, Country NSW
- No wheelchair access
- 2km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, sturdy shoes, suitable clothing
- Please note
- It's illegal to gather firewood, pick flowers, take vegetation or remove bush rock from NSW national parks. Please use barbecue facilities provided and help us preserve this World Heritage-listed forest by leaving it as you found it.
- Water is limited or not available in this area, so it's a good idea to bring your own for cooking and drinking.
Step from the open grass of Plateau Beech campground onto King Fern walking track and you'll immediately find yourself in cool, lush rainforest. Savour the deep scent of damp soil and the beauty of sunlight playing through trees.
The diversity of rainforest plants here is astonishing. Magnificent king ferns, crepe ferns, birds nest ferns and a variety of tree ferns are just some of the flora on display. If you look up you can see epiphytic orchids, liverworts and lichens adorning tree trunks and branches.
Part of the ancient World Heritage-listed Gondwana Rainforests of Australia, this area of Werrikimbe National Park also offers babbling streams, cascades and small waterfalls. Be sure to explore the short side tracks leading to King Fern Falls and Filmy Ferns Cascades.
Spring is a great time to visit as the trees burst into bloom, attracting insects and butterflies. This is also a fantastic opportunity to see some of the park's striking birdlife, including eastern yellow robins, crimson rosellas, olive whistlers and superb lyrebirds. In Autumn, after good rains, the park's waterfalls are at peak splendour and vibrant rainforest colours receive an extra boost from lush mosses and fungi.
Brushy Mountain campground
Brushy Mountain campground is set amid tall ribbon gum and blackbutt forest. Enjoy camping, campfires, short walks, fantastic birdwatching and scenic views near Wauchope.
Plateau Beech campground
Set among World Heritage-listed Gondwana rainforest, the peaceful Plateau Beech campground offers great picnicking, walking, nearby waterfalls and birdwatching to enjoy.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Explore Gondwana Rainforests
Explore the Gondwana Rainforests of Australia World Heritage Area in our NSW national parks. Enjoy guided tours, walks, waterfalls, scenic drives, and accommodation surrounded by ancient landscapes.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Werrikimbe National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Werrikimbe National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.