Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Illawong walk in Kosciuszko National Park, near Thredbo and Perisher, is a 5km return bushwalk where you can enjoy birdwatching, picnicking by the river, wildlife photography, or swimming in Snowy River.
- Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park in Snowy Mountains
- 5km return
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Illawong walk is inaccessible to walkers in winter (June to October long weekends).
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, clothes for all weather conditions, topographic map, gps, compass
Illawong walk is a gorgeous 5km return walk through Kosciuszko National Park. It begins in the charming Guthega Village and follows along Snowy River Valley through alpine heath and towering, majestic snow gums, all the way up to Illawong Hut, one of the oldest buildings still standing in the park.
Walk or swim in the cooling waters of Snowy River when the weather is hot, or picnic among the wildflowers of alpine mint, billy buttons, and native yam daisies, just to name a few.
If you’re a keen birdwatcher be sure to pack your bincoculars. As well as the native birds you’re likely to spot here, including crimson rosellas and gang gang cockatoos, you’re also likely to see interesting native wildlife, including mountain and Kosciuszko thermocolour grasshoppers, wombats, and echidnas.
Take a virtual tour of Illawong walk captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Take in majestic views of Australia's highest peaks on the Guthega to Charlotte Pass walk, near Thredbo and Perisher. Follow the Snowy River and enjoy the fresh mountain air.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass