Devils Hole lookout walk and picnic area
Barrington Tops National Park
Scone access only
The severe weather event in March 2021 has severely damaged Barrington Tops Forest Road, forcing Forestry Corporation of NSW to close the road. Until the road is fixed you can only access this location from Scone (the west). You can't access it from Gloucester (the east).
Devils Hole lookout walk offers scenic views and picnicking via an easy wheelchair track, ideal on a car touring trip to World Heritage-listed Barrington Tops National Park.
- Barrington Tops National Park
- 0.3km return
- Time suggested
- 6 - 15min
- Grade 1
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Devils Hole lookout walk can be affected by snow and ice
You’ll feel like you’re on the edge of the known world while standing on Devils Hole lookout in Barrington Tops National Park. Suitable for wheelchairs, the easy, paved track winds from Devils Hole campground and picnic area to a lookout platform with magnificent views over the vast World Heritage-listed wilderness. Between Scone and Gloucester, it’s a brilliant leg stretcher and picnic spot on a car tour of this unique region.
From the lookout, you’ll be standing where the mountains touch the sky. The snow-grassed montane woodland of the gentle Barrington plateau stretches behind, while dense forests, wild gorges, and ridges of the Barrington wilderness lie below. On a clear day, the view extends to the coast, over 90km to the east.
If the clear mountain air has kickstarted your appetite, stroll back and unpack the hamper at the picnic area. If you’re hungry for more scenery, try nearby Thunderbolts lookout.
NSW national parks offers some amazing access-friendly walking tracks suitable for people with disability. Escape the city and explore some of the picturesque wheelchair-accessible tracks on offer.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.