Browns Forest loop trail
Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve
An easy walk in unspoilt blue gum forest, Browns Forest loop trail, in Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve, St Ives, offers great birdwatching and is a great walk for kids.
- Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve
- No wheelchair access
- 1.3km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
- It’s a good idea to wear insect repellent and long-sleeved clothing, as ticks are known to be present in the area.
If you’ve ever wondered what Sydney looked like before the city took over, then head to Browns Forest loop trail, in the North Sydney suburb of St Ives. Immerse yourself in unspoilt bushland within Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve by taking advantage of its short and easy walking track. Just 30 minutes north of the CBD, it’s ideal for birdwatching enthusiasts, nature-lovers and botanists, and is a great walk for kids.
You’ll enter a forest of majestic blue gums and magnificent blackbutts that hark back to pre-colonial times with a lush understorey of ferns. Following the clearly signposted path, the kids will enjoy the self-guided series of interpretation signs.
In the spring, the ground cover of native flowers, such as the blue flax lily and pastel flower, burst into a colourful display. Any time of year, you’ll hear the chatter of birds such as rainbow lorikeets, crimson rosellas and king parrots echoing through the bush.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Lane Cove National Park Office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- 02 8448 0400
- Lane Cove National Park, 2 Max Allen Road Lindfield NSW 2070
- in Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve in the Sydney and surrounds region
Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.