Box Ridge walking track
Cascade National Park
The short, gently undulating Box Ridge walking track, just an hours’ drive from Coffs Harbour, shows the diversity of the rainforest, including huge brush box trees and wildlife including lyrebirds and wallabies.
- Cascade National Park in North Coast
- 1.2km return
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 4
- Opening times
Box Ridge walking track is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching.
Explore the diversity of the rainforest along Box Ridge walking track. The 1.2km return journey is mostly flat and suitable for the whole family. Tell the kids to keep their voices down to a whisper, because they may be able to spot lyrebirds, wallabies and even a carpet python along the way.
The highlight of this short walk is definitely the huge, ancient brush box trees, but you’ll also see pretty coachwoods and, during summer, the spectacular red flowers of the Dorrigo waratahs. Huge stumps, contrasted with the old-growth trees, are reminders of the bygone logging era.
When you reach the end, retrace your steps or join the Mobong walking track heading south to turn this walk into a circuit.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453
- in Cascade National Park in the North Coast region
Cascade National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (34)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (12)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cycling (3)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Sightseeing (17)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (2)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (19)
- Waterfalls (14)