Big Scrub loop walking track
Nightcap National Park
Big Scrub loop walking track is ideal for experienced bushwalkers and school groups as it leads through superb subtropical rainforest within Nightcap National Park, near Lismore.
- 1.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- Please note
- To access this walk, you’ll need to walk through shallow water across a causeway. The crossing can become impassable after or during heavy rainfall.
- The track can become hard to follow in places, so please follow the track markers and orange triangles to keep to the track.
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- It’s a good idea to take insect repellent, particularly for repelling leeches.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Big Scrub loop walking track offers the chance to experience some of the most magnificent subtropical rainforest in NSW. Part of Nightcap National Park, near Lismore, it’s a popular track for community and school groups, with excellent birdwatching opportunities, crystal clear creeks and lush vegetation.
From the shallow creek crossing, the track is clearly marked with orange markers so you’ll stay on-path. You’ll see enormous fig trees, giant stinging trees and yellow carabeen towering above, forming part of the rainforest canopy. Beneath the forest giants are lush bangalow palms, black bean and maidens blush, while jackwood and lawyer vine form the understorey.
There’s an abundance of birdlife all year round, including Albert’s lyrebirds, brush turkeys and rainforest pigeons.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Alstonville office
- Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477
- in Nightcap National Park in the North Coast region
Nightcap National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, fire danger or management operations.