Big Scrub loop walking track
Nightcap National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Big Scrub loop walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
30min - 1hr
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
On entering Nightcap National Park, from Dunoon:
- Take Dunoon Road north for approximately 3.6km and turn left onto Rocky Creek Dam Road
- Continue for approximately 1.5km and turn left onto unsealed Gibbergunyah Range Road
- Drive for 1km, across several cattlegrids, to the park gate.
You’ll need to walk an additional 300m from the park entry gate, as Gibbergunyah Range Road is closed to public vehicles. However, the road is accessible to walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
Park entry points
- Gibbergunyah Range Road access See on map
Parking is available at the open area adjacent to the information sign. Please do not park in front of the gate.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Nightcap National Park. Here are some of the highlights: Weather in the northern rivers region is generally mild in winter ranging to hot in summer. It can be very wet (the park receives the highest annual rainfall in NSW) and misty so check local weather conditions and pack suitable clothes as well as a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
18°C and 29°C
6°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
Due to rough tracks and the risk of erosion, no bicycles are permitted on this track.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Alstonville office
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed for lunch, 12pm to 1pm.
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477