Bush regeneration at Kamay Botany Bay
La Perouse area in Kamay Botany Bay National Park
Become a bush regeneration volunteer in the La Perouse section of Kamay Botany Bay National Park in Sydney. Help us protect this park’s native vegetation, meet new people, get fresh air and exercise.
- Bush regeneration
Every Tuesday (excluding December and January), 8.30am–12pm. Every 4th Sunday of the month (excluding December and January), 8am–11am.
- La Perouse area in Kamay Botany Bay National Park
- Meeting point
- NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service works depot – Kamay Botany Bay National Park, Henry Head Lane (off Anzac Parade), La Perouse.
- What to
- Sturdy shoes, clothes for all weather conditions, hat, sunscreen, raincoat, snacks, drinking water, knee pads, gardening gloves
- More information
Email or phone Stacy Wilson of NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service on (02) 9311 1235.
Volunteer for bush regeneration at La Perouse, the northern section of Kamay Botany Bay National Park, to help preserve this historically significant site. Join a friendly group of like-minded individuals to eradicate invasive weeds, such as bitou bush, which threaten natural vegetation and animal habitats.
NSW National Parks staff and volunteers have been fighting the bitou bush infestation by all means necessary, including hand removal, aerial spraying, and introducing insects to eat the plant. Other targeted weeds are:
- Pampas grass
- Asparagus fern
- Alligator weed
- Buffalo grass
- Coral trees
Results have been promising. The group is protecting endangered eastern suburbs banksia scrub and themeda grasslands, and has collaborated with a local school to construct sand dune fencing and propagate native grasses for revegetation.
Learn more about identifying plants. Tools and training are provided.
- in the La Perouse area of Kamay Botany Bay National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
7am–8.30pm November to March. 7am–7.30pm April to October
Areas may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
There are no park entry fees in La Perouse area but you'll need to pay to tour Bare Island.Buy an annual pass.
- Nielsen Park office
02 9337 5511
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- Greycliffe House, Nielsen Park, Vaucluse NSW 2030
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nielsen Park office