Wilsons Headland picnic area
Yuraygir National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Wilsons Headland picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Wilsons Headland picnic area is in the central Minnie Water precinct of Yuraygir National Park, near Diggers Camp village. To get there:
- Drive south-west from Grafton along Pacific Highway
- After about 12km, turn left at Eight Mile Lane.
- Follow Eight Mile Lane as it becomes Wooli Road for approximately 29km
- Turn left at Diggers Camp Road and continue for approximately 7km
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Wilsons Headland picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Yuraygir National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Autumn is the perfect time of year to go beach fishing along the park's coastline.
The park's heathlands provide a spectacular display of wildflowers. Check them out on your choice of walking track, including the Wilsons Headland walk and, of course, the Yuraygir coastal walk.
Visit in summer to make the most of the park's countless beaches and waterways. Swim, surf or snorkel – cooling sea breezes provide welcome relief in hot weather.
Plan a winter trip to go whale watching. The sight of migrating whales swimming north to warmer waters is second-to-none, and there are magnificent viewing points at Red Cliffs lookout and Brooms Head.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 26°C
9°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- You'll need to bring your own drinking and cooking water
- We encourage you to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
- Non-flush toilets
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- Assistance may be required to access this area
- Wheelchair-accessible toilet
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Grafton office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6641 1500
- Level 4, 49 Victoria Street, Grafton NSW 2460