Wattamolla picnic area
Royal National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Wattamolla picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Wattamolla picnic area is in the eastern precinct of Royal National Park. To get there:
- Drive across Audley Weir and continue along Sir Bertram Stevens Drive for approximately 11km
- Turn left onto Wattamolla Road, 250m past Bundeena Drive, and follow to Wattamolla picnic area.
- Follow McKell Avenue to the end
- Turn left onto Sir Bertram Stevens Drive and continue for approximately 9km
- Turn right onto Wattamolla Road and follow to Wattamolla picnic area
Follow @royalnpalerts on Twitter for regular, real-time updates about traffic and parking capacity.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
- Parking is available but it can get very busy on the weekend, when parking might be limited.
- Think about car pooling to Wattamolla because the number of people visiting often exceeds the parking spaces available.
By public transport
Park Connections operate a Royal National Park bus service between Sutherland Train Station and locations within the park including Audley, Garie Beach, Wattamolla, Bundeena Wharf, Otford Train Station, and the north and south ends of The Coast track.
Best times to visit
Plan a visit during spring to admire the stunning heathland wildflowers on display. Head along parts of the Coast track to see them in bloom.
You'll be spoilt for choice when it comes to water activities at Wattamolla. Float around in the majestic lagoon, perfect for small children, or cool off at the beach. Just remember to be safe because there's no lifeguard service at Wattamolla. It's an extremely popular location so plan to arrive early in the day as parking is limited and the car park often fills up before midday on a hot weekend.
Winter is a great time to visit Wattamolla as it's a lot quieter than it is during the busy summer months. Not only will you be greeted by spectacular coastal scenery, you can also see whales from the cliffs or the lookout between June and August.
You'll need to bring your own water for drinking and cooking.
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Seasonal ticket booths at Wattamolla and Garie Beach - cash and credit card facilities available. Please bring correct change. There are also coin and card operated pay and display machines to buy day passes or you can pay for your visit via the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass