Resolute picnic area
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Resolute picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Aboriginal Heritage walk starts at Resolute picnic area in the West Head precinct of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. To get there, follow West Head Road to the end.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Resolute picnic area, as well as a bus-turnaround area, near the end of West Head Road.
Best times to visit
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park offers an exceptional visit all year round. You're sure to find a walk, tour, activity or attraction to appeal, regardless of the season.
If you're interested in wildflower displays, set aside a day in August or September to stroll through the park's blooming heathlands.
Bring your fishing gear and go camping at The Basin.
Barrenjoey Head (on the other side of Pittwater, but still in the park) is an excellent spot for whale watching. Take the Barrenjoey Lighthouse Walk between May and August or celebrate International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend in August.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17°C and 31°C
5°C and 20°C
February and March
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Non-flush toilets
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Assistance may be required to access this area
- A wheelchair-accessible bathroom is available
- There are picnic tables that can be accessed via a sealed track from the carpark
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Open fires and any form of solid fuel are not allowed.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.Buy annual pass
Bobbin Head Information Centre
688 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah, NSW 2079
- 10am to 4pm daily. 9am to 4pm during summer school holidays, closed 12pm-12:30pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 8949
Kalkari Discovery Centre
402 Ku-ring-gai Chase Road, Mount Colah NSW 2079
- 9am to 4.30pm. Closed on Christmas Day.
- 02 9472 9300
- 02 9472 9301
- Kalkari Discovery Centre