Lake Eckersley picnic area
Heathcote National Park
For a great day out just an hour south of Sydney, head to Lake Eckersley picnic area. Located near Waterfall in Heathcote National Park, this remote spot is a scenic place to swim and bushwalk.
- Picnic areas
- No wheelchair access
- What to
- Drinking water, sturdy shoes, suitable clothing, hat, sunscreen, topographic map
- Please note
This is a remote area, please make sure you arrive well prepared.
If you love the idea of a bush picnic, you’ll enjoy a day trip to Lake Eckersley picnic area in Heathcote National Park. Although it’s only an hour’s drive from Sydney, you’ll feel worlds away surrounded by native vegetation at this secluded lakeside spot.
Picnic by the water’s edge as you take in the sight of the lake before cooling off with a freshwater dip. If you love to bushwalk, there are a multitude of tracks to choose from, including nearby Bullawarring walking track and Pipeline trail.
Heathcote National Park is a vehicle-free area so you can only access the picnic area by foot. Reaching the site involves quite a long walk, so be sure to take a Heathcote National Park map and plenty of water with you.
For great Sydney bushwalking, visit Heathcote National Park, near Waterfall in the Sutherland shire; combine your hike with birdwatching and freshwater swimming.
Royal National Park sure is beautiful, and it sure is popular. Avoid the traffic jams and crowds by cruising straight into its stunning neighbour and weekend paradise: Heathcote National Park.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Heathcote National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Heathcote National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.