Jerusalem Creek picnic area
Barrington Tops National Park
For a day trip in the rainforest, remote Jerusalem Creek picnic area offers walking, picnicking, and birdwatching in the wilderness of Barrington Tops National Park near Dungog.
- Picnic areas
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Jerusalem Creek picnic area can become boggy when it rains
This remote picnic spot, in the most southerly entrance to Barrington Tops National Park, near Dungog, is a great escape from the modern world. Jerusalem Creek picnic area offers a rare opportunity to experience the splendour of subtropical rainforest, in this World Heritage-listed park.
Work up an appetite with a walk along Jerusalem Creek trail, passing waterfalls and creeks before heading back for a leisurely lunch among the blue gums and turpentine. The picnic spot is great for birdwatching, so take your binoculars.
This protected wilderness provides habitat for a wide range of plants and animals, including more than 50 rare or threatened species, however you’re more likely to see satin bower birds, wompoo fruit-doves, king parrots, glossy black cockatoos, and lyrebirds.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (24)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cycling (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (5)
- Sightseeing (16)
- Walking (14)
- Waterfalls (7)
- WilderQuest tours (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)