Canyon picnic area
Warrumbungle National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Canyon picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Canyon picnic area is in the central precinct of Warrumbungle National Park. To get there:
- Travel along John Renshaw Parkway from Coonabarabran
- Upon entering the park, take the turn-off to the visitor centre
- Continue along the road to Canyon picnic area
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
Parking is available at the Canyon picnic area.
Best times to visit
You may experience a great range of temperatures on any day in the park. In summer it's generally hot in the daytime and temperatures often exceed 30C. In contrast, winter can be very cold and the temperature drops below freezing at night. Rainfall is also highly variable, ranging from drought to prolonged wet periods. Less rain falls on the western side of the park than on the eastern side. It rains most from December to February and the annual average rainfall is 720mm. Thunderstorms are common in mid to late summer.
During early spring wildflowers are in bloom, including a huge variety of golden wattle flowers With a more moderate climate, spring is a great time to get out and camp under the stars .
Weather, temperature and rainfall
15°C and 30°C
0°C and 15°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Non-flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
This area is fully wheelchair accessible.
- Warrumbungle NP Visitor Information Centre
- 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6825 4364
- 4261 John Renshaw Parkway, Warrumbungle NSW 2828
- in Warrumbungle National Park in the Country NSW region
Warrumbungle National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass