Alexanders picnic area
Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area
All the practical information you need to know about the Alexanders picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Alexanders picnic area is in the Awaba Bay precinct of Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area. To get there:
- From the F3, take the Cessnock Road exit towards Awaba and Toronto.
- Continue along the road as it becomes Awaba Road
- Turn left at Carey Street in Toronto to cross the water
- Turn right along Bay Road and continue as it loops around the point into The Ridgeway
- Alexanders Trail is on the right between Bolton Close and Fulton Close
- Its approximately 300m walk along Alexanders Trail to the picnic area
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Street parking is available near the start of Alexander Trail.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area. Here are some of the highlights.
Drop a line at Myuna Bay while the days are still warm enough to sit outside for a peaceful hour or two.
Spring is a lovely time to take Awaba Bay Foreshore walk and stop for a picnic lunch to enjoy the stunning lake views.
Why not kayak around the lake, exploring the secret bays and enjoying the warm water?.
Take a refreshing walk along Wangi circuit walking track, keeping an eye out for the tiny orchids that flower in winter.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
20°C and 25°C
8°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
Fishing from a boat, the beach or by the river is a popular activity for many national park visitors. If you’re planning a day out fishing, check out these fishing safety tips.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307
- in Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area in the Sydney and surrounds and North Coast regions
Lake Macquarie State Conservation Area is always open but may have to close at times due to extreme weather or fire danger.