The Lookdown lookout
Bungonia National Park
It’s an easy walk from the carpark at the end of Lookdown Road to Bungonia lookdown, which offers superb scenic views into Bungonia Creek Gorge and beyond.
- Bungonia National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water
- Please note
- When you enter the park, register your intention at the park office visitor register
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please be well-prepared for your visit.
The word ‘lookdown’ sounds quaint and old-fashioned because its origins are in the late 1800s, back when ladies wore layers of petticoats and gentlemen their three-piece suits for a day out in the bush.
The Lookdown lookout is perched on the edge of the plateau above the Bungonia Slot Canyon. It’s an easy 50m stroll from the carpark to this breathtaking view into Bungonia Creek Gorge and across to Ettrema Wilderness area in Morton National Park.
Spectacular grass trees grow in this area and throughout the park. Their growth rate is around 1cm each year. How many can you spot near the lookdown that were already growing here before the park was first protected as a water reserve in 1872? Also, take a walk along the Molly O’Neill nature track and listen out for a particular lyrebird that lives nearby with its impressive talent for bird and animal calls.
Take a virtual tour of The Lookdown lookout captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bungonia office
- Some weekends and peak holiday periods only. Call Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre outside these periods.
- 02 4827 4700
- 838 The Lookdown Road, Bungonia NSW 2580
- in Bungonia National Park in the Country NSW region
Bungonia National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to high fire danger, or park operations. It's a good idea to ring the office for current information.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. Daily fees can be paid at the ticket machines at the park office.Buy annual pass