Lower Snowy River area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Jacks lookout.
Getting there and parking
Jacks lookout is in the southern (Lower Snowy Mountains) precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- From Snowy Region Visitor Centre, in Jindabyne, drive 1.5km to the Barry Way turn-off.
- Turn left on Barry Way and continue for 60km south
- Jacks lookout is on the left, just off Barry Way.
- For most of its length, Barry Way is unsealed. It’s steep, narrow and winding. Watch for minor rock falls and potholes - especially after rain.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Jacks lookout can become boggy when it rains
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- 4WD required in wet weather
There's an informal hard-packed ground area close to the lookout where you can park your car.
There's an accessible picnic table close to the lookout. You'll need to cross over hard-packed ground to reach it.
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
There's step-free access from the carpark to the lookout along a 1.6m wide gravel pathway. Once you reach the lookout platform, the ground surface changes from gravel to wood.
The lookout platform has handrails all around it, but there are no handrails along the gravel path.
- Step-free outdoor pathways
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
The lookout is mostly flat and step-free, with a gravel pathway from the carpark to the lookout. The ground surface changes from gravel to wood once you reach the lookout.
There are handrails around the wooden section of the lookout, but not along the gravel path that leads to the lookout.
There's an accessible picnic table at the lookout, but it's set off the gravel pathway. You'll need to cross over hard-packed ground to reach it.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Lower Snowy River area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Lower Snowy River area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues.
No park entry fees apply in the Lower Snowy River area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass