Budds Mare lookout
Oxley Wild Rivers National Park
Enjoy a picnic lunch at Budds Mare lookout surrounded by World Heritage listed rainforest and looking out to spectacular views across the Apsley River.
- Oxley Wild Rivers National Park
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Budds Mare lookout can become boggy when it rains.
- This park is in a remote location, please ensure you are thoroughly prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family friend or member of your travel plans.
Budds Mare lookout is a well-equipped picnic area set in beautiful bushland above the Apsley River Valley. There are wonderful views from the lookout across the World Heritage-listed rainforest and over the Apsley River. You’ll be able to see across the gorge to Paradise Rocks, and further north to Round Mountain and Point Lookout.
You can access the campground from here as well as the walking track down the ridge to the Riverside visitor area. The track is steep and this is considered a hard return walk of 14km, taking about three hours each way, so if you’re planning to walk the track set off early and prepare well with food, water and first aid supplies.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Armidale office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.
- 02 6738 9100
- 145 Miller Street, Armidale NSW 2350
- in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Oxley Wild Rivers National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
There are 3 areas in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park where you'll need day use vehicle permits: Halls Peak campground and picnic area, Riverside campground and picnic area, and Youdales Hut campground and picnic area. Day use vehicle permits can be bought online or by calling the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757. If camping, permit fees are included in the campground fee.Contact us for permits