Big Nellie lookout and picnic area
Coorabakh National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Big Nellie lookout and picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Big Nellie lookout and picnic area is in the northern precinct of Coorabakh National Park. To get there:
- From Coopernook and Moorland, take Forest Drive Road north.
- Travel through Coopernook State Forest and follow the signs to Coorabakh National Park
- Turn left at Newbys Creek Road, and follow signs via Starrs Creek to Big Nellie lookout and picnic area.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Big Nellie lookout and picnic area can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Big Nellie lookout and picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Coorabakh National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Several endangered plants flower in the park, creating beautiful displays of wildflowers near lookouts and along roadsides.
A perfect escape from the summer heat can be found in the subtropical rainforest around Starrs Creek, with its elevated boardwalk, and along the slightly more adventurous path to the cave at Newbys Creek.
Low rainfall and reasonable temperatures make winter a great time to take advantage of the several stunning lookouts around the park.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17.2°C and 28.6°C
6.5°C and 12.8°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
There is a small carpark near the lookout.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- Assistance may be required to access this area. There are no wheelchair facilities.
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430