Big Nellie lookout and picnic area
Coorabakh National Park
Big Nellie, in Coorabakh National Park, and the scenic lookout at its base offers a vantage point for photography and birdwatching, as well as a great place to picnic.
- Coorabakh National Park in North Coast
- Opening times
Big Nellie lookout and picnic area is always open but may have to close at times due to flood events, poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
Big Nellie is one of the main attractions of Coorabakh National Park. It’s an imposing rock plug that soars more than 500m above sea level, reminding visitors of an earlier time when the Australian landscape was still being created by volcanoes and earthquakes.
The best place to see scenic Big Nellie is right near its base, where a handy platform has been built to give clear views over the rocky hump. Take the opportunity of a great backdrop to do some family photography, or if you’re keen on birdwatching, this is a great place to spot some of the local birdlife.
Right near the lookout are several tables, making this a good choice as a place to picnic as well. Take advantage of the lookout and then settle down to a leisurely lunch, or consider Starrs Creek picnic area for a shadier alternative in the lush rainforest.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430
- in Coorabakh National Park in the North Coast region
Coorabakh National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (19)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (11)
- Canoeing/paddling (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Fishing (1)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Photography (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (8)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (11)
- Surfing (2)
- Swimming (2)
- Walking (9)
- Waterfalls (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)